Thursday, March 22, 2012

Baby Steps (Part 1)

A book is an author's baby; new,precious, adorable - something to snuggle late at night when you are dreaming of the day it will be published ;)

With that said it is difficult to put your "baby" out there for the world to see/criticize.  Doubt toys with your emotions, and far too often we keep our babies sheltered for fear of rejection.  We keep them tucked into our computers where they are "safe" and no one can hurt them.

Unfortunately, the one hurting them the most, is usually us.  

Children, as well as books, have to grow and explore.  They need to see the world - and yes they need to feel disappointment.  If we hoard them to ourselves we are stunting their growth.  

For anyone who knows me, you know that I always "try" to see both sides of any situation, so let me turn the table for a second.  By no means am I saying that everyone whose written a book/play/poem, whatever, needs to immediately start querying every literary agent possible.  NO, do not do this.  What I am saying is that you need to find a core group of people you trust to read what you have written and ask them to give you honest feedback. (Helpful, honest feedback to be blogged later)

There are so many things that we miss as a writer, our minds know exactly what every word, sentence, and chapter means, but somehow we miss little details and sometimes words. I am amazed every time I give something to my wonderful sister-in-law (and faithful first-eyes), she's a literary hound dog and honestly should be an editor!  

So that's it: Baby step #1.  Find your core support group.  Find the people that will cheer you on, no matter the circumstances and/or outcome.  Build your self-confidence through them if you have to, but share your talent.  It's difficult in the beginning but once you've found them, hold on to them - they are, truly priceless!   My core group - a few friends, my sister, and my sister-in-law - are my lifeline and of whom without, I am quite certain I would have given up a long time ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment