Thursday, May 17, 2012

Do something - Dream

I was trying to find the perfect quote for Monday Motivation, one that would magically motivate everyone, even myself.  I grabbed a book of quotes I have and closed my eyes, wishing for such a quote to be there when I opened them.  This is what was there when I peeked at the book nervously:

"If a man does not know what port he is steering for, no wind is favorable to him." - Seneca

I thought about it for awhile and then I reflected on the last week.  It was a tough one.  I officially gave up on a dream.  Luckily, I was saved by someone's kind words.  Then I thought about my dream and the quote I found.

I can waste time wishing....



But if I don't know where I am going, my wishes will fall flat.

Now, I am not saying that wishes are time wasters.  In fact, I think just the opposite.  Wishes, to me, are the GPS of our dreams.  They are the fuel that drives our dreams to reality.  We need to feed our dreams.  We need to guide our dreams.  And we need to give our dreams a destination.

Just like writing an outline or synopsis, we need to give our dreams a map, a direction in which to head.  You can't expect your dreams to come true if you don't even know what your dreams are.  Do you want to write a book?  Finish a book?  Be on the NY Times Best Sellers List?  Sell more books than J.K. Rowling?  :) Hey I said dream!

Write down your dreams and then get in your boat and head in the direction of our dreams.  In order for dreams to come true, we need to DO something.  We need to write.  We need to put ourselves out there.  We need to research Literary Agents.  We need to blog.  We need to submit query letters.  Do one of them or do them all, but DO something.

Then, when your dreams happen you'll know exactly how you got there.

4 comments:

  1. Toni, Great quote. Sometimes just sitting still seems like the right thing thing to do. Then everything seems fine until the wind blows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! And sometimes sitting still IS the right thing to do, it's like walking away from something you've stared at all day and it doesn't make sense. You come back to it after a break and magically the answer is there! :)

      Delete
  2. These are some very grounding thoughts while at the same time inspiring. One thing I try to consider as I dream is WHY do I want that thing? When my reasons are selfish or worldly or to have everyone say, "Hey, ain't she something!" then the dreams tend to fizzle out whenever I feel down about life, me, or the road to the dream. If, however, I realize that my dreams can (should) include being of benefit to others, lifting them to their best selves, then I'm motivated by what THEY might achieve and how I can get them there.

    I really love what you're doing with your site, Toni. You help more than you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lia! Honestly the blog helps me as well, sometimes it's good to just sit down and really think about what we do and why - it puts everything into perspective!

      Delete