Thursday, June 7, 2012

F.E.A.R.



Nasty little four letter word, isn't it?  It's right up there with c%!* and &^!t.  And it's intertwined with that other nasty word, rejection.  As a writer, I fear rejection and failure.  It causes me to doubt, and more than once, to give up.  And yet, as a writer, I refuse to let my fear control me.

Again, this weeks' Motivation Monday, really spoke to me:

"Being scared can keep a man from getting killed, and often makes a better fighter out of him."
- Louis L'Amour

How true is that?!  We've all heard the stories; where some eighty year old grandma beat the living daylights out of a twenty something thug with her cane.   How is that possible?  Because she has something to live for.  She has the will to fight.  In those moments, the ones where we are faced with the possibility of dying, something kicks in and tells us to fight.

So what does that have to do with writing?

As authors we need to find our will. The will to write.  The will to try.  The will to keep going.

Fear is that twenty something thug.  It's do or die time.

Find the fight within.

No comments:

Post a Comment