Thursday, July 26, 2012

Interview with Author Lia London



We are super excited to introduce local author Lia London!!  Lia was gracious enough to send me a copy of her book, The Circle of Law, as well as answer a few questions for us!  Without further ado, Lia London:



1. Can you tell us a little about The Circle of Law? (I am cheating, even though I have read it, I love to hear what authors say about their own books!)

When people ask me, "What is The Circle of Law" about, I always feel jumbly.  There are two answers: the one about the characters and what they do, and the one about the theme--which is what it's really about.  The story is about a group of people called Ancients who have the ability to Govern elements like water, wind and animals.  In theory, they should be working together to benefit humanity, but as the book begins, they've long since fallen apart as a council.  The plot is then about the trials of bringing them back together, all while battling a selfish and tyrannical Realm.  The title comes from a series of tenets or principles by which the Ancients are supposed to live in order to increase their power and bless the world.  What is the book about?  Forgiveness, redemption, faith, friendship, unity, and...above all, integrity.  With themes like that, I bill it as a Christian fantasy.

2.  The Circle of Law is full of new places, people, and things where do you get your inspiration?

Believe it or not, the main idea came to me in a dream.  I had my pencil and paper handy by the bedside, and started jotting down notes (a practice I very much recommend).  Much of the scenery is based on different parts of my home state, Oregon, which has great diversity with oceans, mountains, forests and deserts.  Many of the people are patterned after friends or acquaintances, at least physically, though in a few cases, personality-wise, too.   

3.  Who is your favorite character?  And why?

Who doesn't love Bobres best?  The man is just so amazing.  He is full of love and integrity, and yet he has to overcome character flaws, too.  He's the wise mentor I think most of need at some point in our lives because he really walks his talk, even when it's hard and requires sacrifice.  I want to be like him when I grow up.  

As his character developed, I saw him as a new kind of hero.  He "battles" evil with goodness, not guns or smack down street fights.  A hero, to me, is one who saves us in some way--physically, spiritually, emotionally--and Bobres manages to do all of those without ever throwing a punch.
4.  I have to admit, I fell in love with Bobres; did you always know you needed a character like him or was he one of the first characters you thought of?

Initially, I was going to have him be kind of a hermit character who came in and got the younger characters started on their journey, and then sort of faded away.  But a friend of mine, one of my key beta readers, became focused on the Laws, and as I watched him talk about them, I saw Bobres taking on that role--the champion of the Circle of Law itself.  The character morphed quickly from being a small supporting role to being a central figure.

5.  You've talked a lot about your publishing challenges on your blog, what is the biggest lesson you've learned?

The publishing companies (even the self-publishing service companies) are in business to make money.  They are not in love with our work.  They see it as a potential key to revenue--or not.  We cannot wrap up our self-esteem in whether or not publishers or literary agents accept us or treat us well.  They are looking at dollar signs, not how the stories might touch lives.  We have to believe in ourselves and the stories inside of us, and then pay the price to create a great product that we can be proud of.  And of course, with the way the industry is changing so quickly, we can jolly well publish ourselves at almost no cost. 

6.  What is your biggest piece of advice to aspiring authors?

Take your time.  Don't be in a big rush to publish and get all famous.  First of all, it doesn't happen like that for 99.9% of the people.  (That's not a researched stat, but I bet I'm reeeallly close.)  And secondly, our works usually need several more drafts than we think they do.  Each round of submissions brought new changes to my manuscript, and even now, I'm trimming and fine tuning for the re-release.  We don't like to cut and revise our precious creations, but it's the best thing we can do for them.  What we see in our heads and feel in our hearts is not necessarily coming out on the page with our first few efforts.   

7.  If you had to pick only one of your characters to come to life, who would it be, and why?

That's a tough one because, as I said, some of them are based on real people.  I suppose I'd want Isbi to come to life.  She's the Governor of Hope, and heaven knows we need more of that in the world!

8. I celebrate my small writing victories with pairs of new cozy socks, do you have any off-the-wall habits (or am I the only one?)

Chocolate is a universal addiction, isn't it?  Not very off-the-wall.  But I will specify that it has to be imported chocolate.  Either Swiss or something from UK Cadbury's.  (Note from Toni: I am seriously reconsidering my addiction, I think chocolate is WAY better than socks!) 

9. What are you working on now?

 Two things.  The biggie is the sequel to The Circle of Law, called New Gifts, in which we will meet two new Ancients.  There will be more in the series beyond that, but that's the one I hope to finish by the end of the year.  The "fun" work in progress is Magian High , an interactive fiction project I'm writing with reader input on my website.   It's a YA adventure novel about bringing magical and non-magical kids together in a high school.  It's kind of a fantasy exploration of cultural rifts.  You all are absolutely invited to join us at any time!  Participants get a free ebook at the end!
Lia also has a few other projects, both available on Amazon- check them out!  




Once again, thanks to Lia for not only writing a wonderful book, but introducing it to me, and for answering some questions for us!  Best of luck Lia!!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for the sequel to Circle of Law! Lia paints the pictures so well, I didn't want it to end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I can't wait to read Circle of Law! Thank you Lia for your advice to inspiring authors. I am part of the 99.9% and proud of it but wish I WAS the next JK Rowling! Toni, your interview questions are so funny as usual!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, I just saw this! I'm so sorry not to respond sooner. Hope you enjoyed it. And who knows--you COULD be the next JK!

      Delete