Thursday, September 13, 2012

Doubt: The creativity cannibal

Doubt is a darkness that can deteriorate years of work in a matter of seconds.  It creeps into our minds and, often times, starts breeding negativity that nibbles away at our creativity. This is a subject that I talk about a lot, simply because no one is immune to it, and honestly, I battle with it all the time.  But alas, it seems I am not alone!

Author Elana Johnson recently blogged about eliminating doubt.  I love Elana's blog and I love this post so much I wanted to share.  Elana was at a professional development seminar where a performance psychologist discussed doubt.  (I am not pasting the story here because I encourage everyone to click on the link and read Elana's take on it!!)

But I will say this - the advice Elana shared is one I think we can all use. Here's just a little bit of the story.  The performance psychologist Elana was listening to use to call a time out when a match wasn't going very well,  and would make the athletes say three things they were doing right - and if they started to complain he'd threaten to forfeit the match  unless they complied.

It made me think.

It's human nature to be competitive, no one wants to forfeit... at least I don't think they do, and yet that's what happens when we allow doubt to sneak into our heads.  We are forfeiting!  We are essentially throwing in the towel.

When I get done with a book and have read it for the upteen-millionth time, doubt invariably finds a home in my head.  I start to doubt my abilities, my book, my characters - everything.  But here's the fun part - now I have a way to fight back.    

I will not forfeit!

Try it some time - it doesn't even have to be with writing.  But when doubt starts encroaching on your life remind yourself of 3 three things you are doing right!

As long as you are breathing, forfeiting is not an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment