Thursday, November 1, 2012

Perspective

Today was a rough day at work.  I came home in a grumpy mood topped with a killer headache.  Much to my surprise (and delight) my kids were cleaning the house and my husband was cooking dinner. Their thoughtfulness started to melt away my stresses and I felt a little better.  By the time I was changing into my signature (and by signature I mean habitual) outfit of jeans and a hooded sweatshirt, I thought alright, it's Monday, the day sucked lemons, but hey, I don't have to cook!!!

And then...
Yep.  Sitting on the counter - not 1 BUT 2 (yes, I said 2!!!) rejection letters.  Ugh. All of my family's good deeds were trampled on by 2 pieces of lowly mail.  My headache came back and all I wanted to do was crawl into bed and sleep.

But I didn't.  I couldn't walk away from a clean house and warm meal :) After eating my sweetly prepared dinner and running my white glove across the mantel (just kidding) my phone rang and it was my sister.  (Who, by the way, just got married - whooohoooo!!!  Congrats Sissy-Poo!)  We were talking about the wedding, and jobs, and husbands when she mentioned a friend who lived on the East Coast dealing with Hurricane Sandy.  With all my insignificant, little woes I had totally forgotten about the millions of people that were already without power and who were worrying about, not only their livelihoods, but their lives.

East Coast Preps for Sandy

I've never been in and/or near a hurricane but I can imagine that there would be so much to think about and plan for, that things like rejection letters seem trivial.  Where I was worried about a book never getting published, others were forced to think of what to take with them when they left their homes, should they leave, could they afford to leave?  What will things be like when the storm is over?  Will I still have a job, a car, a home?

By the time this is posted Hurricane Sandy will be fizzling out somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean (hopefully well before this is posted) and most East Coasters will have the answers to all their questions (I pray they are good answers) - and I will still have 2 rejection letters - but I will have something else....

Perspective.

And sometimes, that's all it takes to not care about rejections.

3 comments:

  1. What a refining moment! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As sad as it is, I am getting used to sharing my failings....just glad this one was shadowed by reality :)

      Delete
  2. I came and lurked today, and I was sorry to read this post but appreciate you sharing the perspective. What a sweet family you have! Wanted you two to know that I'm totally rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete