Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Game of Risk

I don't know a single person who would describe me as a "wild child" or a risk taker.  (I'm just boring that way!) I want to grow old and grey, see my kids graduate college, heck I even want to live to see the Arizona Cardinals win a Superbowl.  (See this is as risky as I get, dissing my husband's favorite team on a blog he doesn't read!)

So when a colleague of mine (of whom I've never met in person, but talk to almost daily) asked why I don't self-publish, my reply came spewing out of my mouth before I even realized I said it.  Going traditional vs. self-publishing is a personal decision.  To me publishing is a game.  The strategy is simple, you can either wait for the coach to approach you to play or you can jump right into the ring and start fighting.

For some the learning comes from fighting.  I am just not that way.  I want to watch my competition, I want to learn from their mistakes and, most importantly, I want the coach to tell me I am ready to fight.  I want him to believe me.



The risk, of course, in going the traditional route is that I may never be published.  I may never see my book(s) sitting on the shelves at Barnes & Noble, I may never hear the words, "I want to publish your book" - and as strange as it is, I'm okay with that.  Not to say that I don't want to hear those words, because believe me, I WANT TO!

But I am okay with risking not being published for the satisfaction of knowing that there's someone out there who WANTS to publish my work.

Because I'm just risky that way :)


2 comments: