Monday, May 20, 2013

Words of wisdom, motivation, sweaty palms....and other random SCBWI things

Yep this weekend was our annual SCBWI Conference here in Oregon.
Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators

I have a love/strongly dislike relationship with this weekend... and it has nothing to do with the conference itself.  The conference was, as always, amazing.  It's essentially two days to hang out with like minded people (which for hermits authors is rare).  There's tons of classes on everything from character development to marketing to how to write for boys - and the best part is it changes every year.

The part that hasn't changed - at all - is me torturing myself by participating in what's called a "WOW Session".  It's where normal people get up in front of a group smiling and proceed to read the first 250 words of their book and then listen while a panel of three authors and agents nicely critique their work.  For the not-so-normal/slightly overly nervous people (yes, me) it involves nearly tripping over my own nerves, stumbling over my words, and sweating more than a marathon runner.  Here's what I felt like during the session:



Although I am fairly new with SCBWI, I can say that every time I go to a conference I come away wanting to write.  I've been a bit of slacker lately (well documented by this blog) but after this weekend I can't wait to start on a new book :)  Hearing about others successes always helps motivate me.

And now for the "words of wisdom" section of our program:

As Erika and I departed ways we discussed who was going to blog first.  I'll admit I cheated.  Well I had a reason to volunteer to go first.  Erika and I have both been struggling with whether or not we should keep writing.  If you've never written a book then just know that it's A LOT of work.  If you've never edited a book just know that it's A LOT of sucky work.  If you never submitted a book to an agent or editor just know that it FLAT OUT SUCKS.

So why did I volunteer?  There was something said this weekend that darn near slapped me across the face. SO pardon me while I talk to Erika and Erika alone:

Erika,

During Karen Cushman's talk she gave a ton of advise and insightful suggestions.  But there was one piece of advise that was meant for us to hear.  Everything happens for reason, even the date of the conference.  You mentioned that someone very dear to you would be watching over you that day, and I think he was.  He wanted you to hear Karen's words:

LET GO OF THE OUTCOME.

No matter how hard it gets or how easy it is to quit simply because we aren't published or don't have an agent, we have to remember the reason we are writing.

We write because we love it.  We love the stories, the characters, the pain, the agony of rejection,  the words.  We love weaving it all together into something that someday might inspire kids to read.  So while our current "outcome" looks bleak because we haven't "sold" a book, it's only truly bleak if we give up.

There won't be a published book if we never write it.

So no giving up.  Because if you give up, I probably will too - and I don't want to give up....not yet.

Toni


No comments:

Post a Comment