Thursday, April 12, 2012

Can't figure out what to write….READ!


Is your writing lack luster? Are you a little down in the "writing" dumps? Could you use a little boost?


Pick up a book for a little pick-me-up!


Reading could unleash your own creativity or help you tighten up your own writing. Read the top sellers and newly released books in your field. Read stories similar to your own. No, I am not encouraging plagiarism! Just get to know what's out there. Get to know the authors. Read about their road to publishing and success stories. If you're a Middle Grade author, read the Newberry awards winners and honor books. If you are a YA author, read the Printz award winners. You get the idea!


Toni and I love going to Barnes and Noble for our little blog powwows. We discuss blog business for several minutes then excitedly move onto the next item on the agenda….browsing the shelves. I'm always amazed at Toni's knowledge of YA novels and authors. As we work our way down the shelves, Toni can give a brief synopsis and critique of almost every book on the shelf! Her knowledge and enthusiasm is amazing. This is why she is a great author even if her books haven't been published yet!


So if you're struggling with the next chapter, introducing a new character or just need a good excuse: start reading. Reading isn't just good for the soul, it's good for the creative mind too!!


If you need help getting started (yeah right! Most of us have long reading lists!), attached is a link to the American Library Association 2012 award winners announcement:


http://www.ala.org/news/pr?id=9108


Happy writing and reading!


2 comments:

  1. Not that I need any more excuses to stalk YA authors and books - but hey I will take it! I love to read while I am writing - I couldn't agree more it really does help! (and so does our Barnes and Noble nights!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a deal to make you. How about you do all the writing, and I'll do all the reading?

    ReplyDelete