Tuesday, April 10, 2012

PER-SE-VER-ANCE

It's a big word.  It implies so much.  It's telling us to DO something - to remain persistent in a course, despite the difficulties!
per·se·ver·ance

  [pur-suh-veer-uhns]  Show IPA
noun
1.
steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state,etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, ordiscouragement.

I found it funny, interesting, intriguing even, that the word perseverance is so closely related to and looks like the word preserver.  For me writing is my preserver.  It is what keeps me afloat.  Something that keeps me steady, despite the difficulties.




pre·serve

  [pri-zurv]  Show IPA verb, pre·served,pre·serv·ing, noun
verb (used with object)
1.
to keep alive or in existence; make lasting: to preserve ourliberties as free citizens.
2.
to keep safe from harm or injury; protect or spare.
3.
to keep up; maintain: to preserve historical monuments.
4.
to keep possession of; retain: to preserve one's composure - (sanity).  (Yes I added sanity)


I started writing a long time ago because I loved to write.  I write now because I NEED to write.  It's my personal outlet.  I focus on characters, settings, and plots rather than letting anxiety manhandle my imagination.

So why am I rambling about perseverance and preservers?

I've been spending a lot of time looking at published authors websites, reading devouring their words and advice, and do you know what the top 2 words of advice are?

Write.

Persevere.

Everyday.  All the time.  Always.  Write whatever you can, whenever you can and above all - never, ever give up.  If writing is, like it is for me, a way to keep you afloat, why would you ever give up?  Why would you quit just because someone said it is hard?

Why would you ever give up on yourself?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome blog post, analogy and reminder! We must never give up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Sometimes I think I need the reminder the most - perhaps that's why I wrote it! ????

    ReplyDelete