Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Onward and Upward


"What's the best advice or words of wisdom you've received?" I asked my kids at the dinner table one day. The little guys responded, "You're cool!", "You're awesome" , "You rock!" which are expressions we ALL like to hear.
It was my daughters response that really got my attention; "You've made so much improvement."

She elaborated by saying she felt a strong sense of pride knowing not only had someone noticed her hard work but also it HAD paid off. She was getting better, making improvements AND giving more bruises! She was referring to her improvements in her roller derby skills.

Won't it be great to hear those words about your writing someday?! Oh, what a pleasant thought! I would LOVE a publisher or editor to said "You've made so much improvement!" to me someday!

In my daydream, the editor continues by saying "Your writing has come such a long way!" This, of course, is from a editor whom has previously sent me a rejection letter. "We're impressed by your brilliant writing skills." Awww… daydreams rock!

Writing is fun but it's also hard work. Most of us have to work really hard at writing and there's also a learning curve. BUT to have validation for all those years of writing, all the late hours, tears, frustrations, shattered dreams…would be worth it to hear "You've made so much improvement!" as you are handed a publishing contract!

So many writers have traveled the road of rejection, learning, improving, perfecting their skills and then success! It's great to hear or read about authors success stories. Someday I hope to write my own success story and you will too!!!

We just need to keep on writing, learning, growing, improving and persevering! So take those writing classes, attend writing conferences, read books on the craft of writing, learn, grow and just keep moving forward!!!



We would love to hear of your words of wisdom or advice! Please comment or contact us!

3 comments:

  1. There is only 1 way to go! UP! Great blog, as usual, Erika!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The longer we write and work on our craft, the more we realize that some of those rejection letters weren't so cruel after all. We see the improvement that came from the determination, and eventually we can say, "Hey! I don't even need an agent to tell me this one is better. I KNOW it is! WAY better!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ABSOLUTELY! It is kinda fun to re-read old stuff and then compare to new stuff - that would be a "I KNOW, WITHOUT A DOUBT, THAT IT IS BETTER!"

      Delete