Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Warm fuzzies...

Occasionally my sweet husband and I discuss topic ideas for the blog.  He suggested this one about the power of words and I asked if he won't mind writing it:  


When Erika and I were planning our wedding, I wisely let her take the lead and just did everything she asked me.  I didn't have any goals for the wedding other than to be married to her.  When it came down to picking wedding rings, I hadn't thought very much about it.  She asked me what I wanted and found myself at a loss.  I don't know anything about jewelry.  I don't usually like jewelry.  I don't even wear a watch.  I prefer to keep things as simple as possible.  When she insisted on some details, I dug deep and decided it should not be gold, should be really durable, be very simple, and comfortable.  


In the end, she helped me pick out a simple stainless steel band with a comfort fit.  I loved it.  Marriage is an important covenant to me, so I didn't want to take this ring off, not matter what I did.  Thanks to Erika's guidance, I have a ring that I don't have to ever take off.

But I do take it off for brief moments.  Sometimes it's just to make sure my fingers haven't become too fat.  Sometimes I do it when I am nervous and need to do something with my hands.  But the main reason I take it off is to see the jewel in my ring.  My ring was very inexpensive by ring standards.  But when she ordered it, she added the part that makes this ring mean the world to me.  When I take the ring off I look at the inside of ring and see the inscription: "All my love for eternity".  That is the jewel in my ring.  The item of incredible value.  Reading those words fills me with warm fuzzies.

This is why I admire the writing profession so much!  You can capture and express ideas, emotions, and concepts in a way that can be shared not just once, but over and over.  So while you are battling against distractions or gathering motivation, remember the importance of you work. Remember words can change a life.


Ben Bushman



2 comments:

  1. *Sniff* Sniff* Oh Ben! Seriously, I love this post, I love the fact that you wrote this post, and I love what you wrote about words changing a life - it is so true and yet sometimes I think we loose sight of that! Thank you for just being you and supportive and well, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika, you are a very fortunate woman to have Ben for all eternity! Seeing a guy value his wedding ring so much because his wife’s engraved words were his jewel, I don’t know what to call you but lucky. And what’s better is that he was willing to write all those words down for everyone to read. You, guys, just made me feel giddy inside. =)

    Regards,
    Maude Quintana

    ReplyDelete