Thursday, January 17, 2013

How long DO you follow your dream?

Imagine yourself in my shoes.  It's Saturday morning, the kids are either asleep or already out the door.  The house is quiet and the computer isn't being used.  (Rare, very rare) So I drag myself over to the computer, not really knowing why, but heck there's an empty chair in front of it, why not?
I hop onto my blogger account ready for some blog-stalking. (It's a habit I have no intention of breaking), anyway...I start with my close friends and read up on all the super fun Holiday stuff they've done and smile.  Then I move onto a newly published author that I've been following for about a year.  I read all about her glorious year of getting two books deals and writing sequels and my smile starts to give way to a jealously-fueled scowl.  Then I move onto a literary agent that has rejected me twice (Geez, twice! I know!  And I am stupid enough still follow her blog!) and low and behold I find a link to, honestly, The Best Advice I have ever read!!!  It was written by Jane Friedman for Writer's Digest, originally in 2011, and recently updated.

This was me reading it.
 
Article: Don’t you wish someone could tell you how close you are to getting traditionally published?
Me: "Yes! Yes! For the love all things literary!  YES!"

Article: Don’t you wish someone could say, “If you just keep at it for three more years, you’re certain to make it!”
Me: "Oh my Harry Potter, there's someone out there that can do that?"

Article: Or, even if it would be heartbreaking, wouldn’t it be nice to be told that you’re wasting your time, so that you can move on, try another tack (like self-publishing), or perhaps even change course entirely to produce some other creative work?
Me: "Seriously?  Someone finally understands me! Yes, please, just tell me!!!"

I was hooked. 

So I kept reading.  I was laughing and crying, shaking my head, agreeing with every word.  "Yes!  Yes!  I know what you're talking about!" Many first manuscript attempts are not publishable, even after revision, yet they are necessary and vital for a writer’s growth. A writer who’s just finished her first manuscript probably doesn’t realize this, and will likely take the rejection process very hard. Some writers can’t move past this rejection. You’ve probably heard experts advise that you should always start working on the next manuscript, rather than waiting to publish the first. That’s because you need to move on, and not get stuck on publishing your first attempt.
There is honestly so much great advice in this article that I will recommend it for anyone interested in being an author.  (anyone brave enough to read our blog ) 

And while the age old question of "How long DO you follow your dreams" wasn't technically answered, in a way it was.  The answer is inside each of us.  It is up to us to know and even more so, believe in our work enough to keep after our dreams. 

So dream on. 

Someday will come soon enough :) 



2 comments:

  1. Oh so true. Even THE CIRCLE OF LAW's first publication was after a dozen drafts, and when I looked at it recently and decided to rerelease a 2nd edition, I ended up cutting almost 10K words. It was good, but not anywhere near as good as I thought it was. NOW I feel like it's truly publishable. It was a hard process. A long process. A needed process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the same boat, only not published. I started this book three or four years ago but shelved it about two years ago and am revisiting it. It's amazing how much reading and writing other things truly helps! I wish you the best of luck Lia, your book is amazing!

      Delete