Monday, January 14, 2013

Motivational Monday

"First keep the peace within yourself, then you can also bring peace to other."
- Thomas Kempis

Speaking from experience here.  I've mentioned my anxiety issues before, but more in a joking manner.  So I am putting on my serious hat this morning; I'll be back in a second.

Ahem.  I'm ready now.

This quote defines the writing process for me.  If I can control my anxiety, by thinking of my mischievous characters, and not my children, then I can one day, hopefully, bring peace and joy to others who will read my books.  Anxiety is something that can control you, it can destroy you mentally, and it can push you off the edge of depression.  Anxiety and depression can cause that once peaceful and happy mother, friend, sister, to become someone else - someone who doesn't want to do anything, let alone write.

Lucky for me I've found a way to "control" my anxiety.  Instead of imagining horrible things happening to my kids, I imagine my characters and their stories.  Writing has helped to bring that inner peace I'd longed for.  It's the main reason I refuse to give up on my dream.  If I give up (which I'm not a big fan of quitting) then I know I'd go back to worrying about things that will never happen.

Any of us can find inner peace, whether its through writing, reading, painting; the most important part of this quote is to share your peace with others.  Let others read your works, hear you sing, see your masterpiece, feel the warmth of your hugs, taste the love you put into your cooking.

You never know when someone you share your gifts with truly needs it.  And you never know when you will need it return - so give generously.

1 comment:

  1. I really do believe that writing is a great "therapy". It helps keep me sane, I know!

    ReplyDelete